Time management is a critical issue for business owners. Organising your office and time will make you more effective and efficient, leading to greater success. Here’s some simple steps to follow.
- Make an exhaustive list of all your responsibilities as a business owner. Now prioritise them. Top of your list should be tasks that produce income. A prioritised list will help you focus and get things done.
- Make a list of all the tasks that need to be done each week. Also find out and note the amount of time needed to complete each task.
- Always keep 5-10 minutes at the end of each day to plan for the next. Put these down on a ‘to-do list’ so you can get all the tasks on it completed the next day. Leave this list on your desk so it’s the first thing you look at as you start work the next day. Set aside time for each area; eg do finances before you go on to marketing.
- Keep your office organised project-wise. Organise your office by category. For example, put all the files and information pertaining to finances in one place and marketing in another. That way you can focus on one area/project at a time and also save time when searching for relevant information.
- Make sure you have a proper filing system. This is a real time-saver, as it ensures you get what you are looking for when you need it.
- Fully exploit the critical programs on your computer. Take classes or buy how-to books for system programs if you have to. For example, learn how you can organise your activities in Outlook and learn how to use spreadsheets efficiently.
- Reserve some time for ‘creative’ brainstorming sessions. Do some strategic thinking and see how far you can take your business. Read business books or listen to motivational tapes on the way home. Creative brainstorming can lead to new effective strategies.
It is vital that you make the time to organise your office and your time. The time spent now on organisation will save you hundreds of hours in the future, help you focus and keep you on track. It is a process you need to continually work on but it will lead to great results in your business.